Sunday 19 October 2008

Well this is what I would like


Well, I thought if we're going to have a OVF on a camera, make a bloody good one. I'm tired of cameras that have this but are so dark, awkward they become such a pain to use. I was in fact thinking of having a 1:1 view with frame lines. I quite like using this viewfinder as it doesn't require my eye to adjust to anything and I can have both eyes open. I don't think many people will like my drawing so I guess I'd be the only one buying one :)
A few things I thought of :
Putting the phase detection back on. 
Putting the ol' GRD1 wheel back on
Ditching the Flash
Ditching the AF assist light
Ditching the fully automatic mode and replace it with MY3
Having a real bright OVF with focus, shutter, aperture information visible within.
A small LCD screen on top that would show basic information such as shots remaining, but could be configured to show a list of things that could be toggled with a button. 

4 comments:

Cristian said...

Interesting design but the OVF is just too big for something you don't need most of the time. How about making it external as an add-on?

Tom said...

Thanks Chris,

I think it would only add slightly to the GRD size. Removing the flash would help here. I wanted the OVF big so that it could be useful. The external OVF for the GRD is pretty much useless although it does give it a nice retro look. If information could be fed into it like spot focus, shutter speed, metering and aperture I would use it more. However if there is a way to have an external OVF with information fed in, why not.

Anonymous said...

It is an interesting design, and I would personally love to see an OVF in the camera. Just like the original GR1, but a bit brighter and larger.
If Ricoh can produce an external OVF with information display, than that would be fine too.

Tom said...

Thanks Wouter,

I think we share the same thoughts on the OVF. Hope Ricoh can make one for us.