Thursday 30 October 2008

More ideas for the next GR-D




Ok I met up with Cristian from gr-diary and tried to come up with some ideas how Ricoh could make the GRD3.

Here are a few ideas we had :

* Keep the chasis as-is, perhaps make it a little taller if required.
* Remove the flash and bundle a small hotshoe flash
* next to the ON button, please a small monochome LCD screen that would echo the same menu's as the colour LCD screen.
o This could have metering information permenantly displayed. If one pushes the adjust button, it would display the first element of the ricoh menu and the front wheel would allow you to scroll though the values. The [O] button that normally toggles the framelines would have an additional function of illuminating the top LCD.
* Below the hotshoe, add a button that simply turns on or off the colour LCD display.
* make the lens protrude slightly more and add a manual focus ring
* Create a new OVF addon which would display information and focus


I will post of picture of what this could look like tonight :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom! Good ideas! I agree with everything you suggested. I'm not quite sure about top LCD as I never used it much with Olympus C5060. I would much more prefer a return of phase detection AF or rear wheel, even at a cost of loosing its "push" functionality. I added some more ideas and design suggestions in the post you started at RicohForum...
http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1931

BTW, I would love to have an optical VF with electronic (HUD-like) layer. But I'm afraid, this would make such VF unreasonably overpriced. Take for example the price of external VF for GRD. There is probably nobody who likes its price tag? Now add the electronic layer and you are on a double of the OVF price. Geez, it's about the current price of GRDI! ;)

Miss Valmente said...

And a shutter (speed) mode too on the wheel ! and I like the manual focus wheel of DP1.
What do you think about my ideas ?

Val

Marco said...

A fast AF would be high on my wish list too for the next generation Ricoh. This is an important reason for using a DSLR instead of a digital compact.