Monday 15 December 2008

Trouble

:) Ricoh has kindly asked me to send my beloved GRD in to check out my problem. I hope it will be an easy fix. 



Ouch, my dear GR-D1 is not happy. The usual 'camera crashes on the adjust button' problem.

This time I am able to replicate it each time, but unfortunatly I don't know how to fix it.

Envionment:

Ricoh GRD1 camera : Model TQ14104768

- Latest GRD1 firmware
- Factory reset
- Erased internal memory
- No SD card present

I power on the camera
I press the adjust button

The frame rate will slow down to around 15fps
All buttons on the camera will be unresponsive. If left alone it will remain in the vegetable state.
I press the power button and after around 10 seconds the screen will power off leaving the lens totally out.

I press the power button again. This time it takes 9 seconds to initizlise the camera and ready to take a shot.
I press the adjust button and here we go again, the same thing.

I think the camera has decided to die on me. Well not exactly die because all the menu functions can be accessed via the menu so the damage is only that my [ADJ] is inoperable. This is all the more saddening because the camera is only just out of warranty :(

If anyone has any ideas what I can do?

I have put a video here : http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/244826/R1049811.AVI

Ok, thought maybe my firmware was bad so rolled back to firmware : Firmware rel 1.08

Same problem .... *cry*

update : Tried master reset but alas still the same problem.

update : Based on Christian's suggestion that I should wait before pressing the [ADJ] button rather than pressing it after boot up didn't really work. Actually it's getting worse by the day. Instead of freezing now, the camera just powers off with the lens out.

update

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear the sad news.

The problem may be the result of poor contact points of the wheel. Similar problem is also found in other DC's.

You can try to put 1 or 2 drops of rubbing alcohol onto the ADJ. wheel and fully turn the wheel back and forth a few times right away. Some GRDI users have tried this method and it works.

My GRDI also has the problem but it's not serious. I haven't tried to fix it yet. Maybe I should try the method and see if any improvements.

Anyway, I think it's good to keep the contact points clean even if no problems.

Tom said...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion but i think it should be all sorted soon. I sent the camera to ricoh to have a look at. Hopefull will have it back before my trip to hong kong:)

tom

Anonymous said...

Followed mike's advice and put a drop of pure dry alcohol (HLC digital cleaner) into the ADJ wheel area and spun and pressed the wheel for a minute or so to work it into the contact area.

That seems to do the trick! Thanks a lot!